Thursday, October 21, 2004

Diary Of Holocaust Victim Made Public

Another Anne Frank, she is sometimes called.
The previously unknown diadry of 18-year-old Helga Deen - who was murdered along with her family by the Nazis at the Sobibor death camp in 1943 - has been loaned to the Tilburg Regional Archive in the Netherlands.
This really is more than I can bear to read. I read it anyway. So should you.

The Independant also features this subject:
Ms Deen's diary journal shows how desperation slowly set in. In an excerpt dated 6 June, 1943, just after 1,300 children were deported to Auschwitz and Sobibor death camps, she wrote: "Transport. It is too much. I am broken and tomorrow it will happen again. But I want to [persevere], I want to because if my happiness and willpower die, I too will die."
More Jews were transported and murdered from the Netherlands than from any other country. Certainly proportionally, but even in the absolute sense, only Germany itself lost more Jews than did the Netherlands, of all Western European countries.

How was this possible? Is there a lesson to be learned that would be relevant today?
Most experts agree that the Dutch were at best very passive. Its efficient bureacracy stayed in place after the German occupation, and blindly followed orders to supply relevant information about the Dutch Jewish population.
Dutch police too cooperated almost to perfection.
There were more Dutch citizens who betrayed Jews in hiding than there were who hid or otherwise supported Jews.

Today's Dutch differ in this respect from their WW2 ancestors not one iota. If anything, Jews are liked less now than they were then. Israel is no longer seen as the underdog, and the taboo that the Holocaust laid on anti-Semitism (that was always dormant to begin with) is rapidly eroding. About a year ago the EU tried to suppress a
poll that showed that 59% of all EU citizens thought Israel was the greatest danger to world peace. Ahead of countries like N-Korea, Iran, China, etc.
Nearly 60% of Europeans said yes when asked in the Eurobarometer survey if Israel presents a threat to peace, putting it ahead of Iran, North Korea and the US, each of which polled 53%.
In the Netherlands, that percentage was a staggering 74... (links to Dutch article).

So what's it like in Holland these days? Well, let me give you
a clue:
The first European country that will effectively become an Islamic state is the Netherlands. The numbers speak for themselves: In the four largest cities – Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and The Hague – Muslims already form a majority among those under the age of 14. Mohammed is now the most frequently registered first name for Dutch boys.
I live here until I can't stand it anymore. I want to see the ship go down. You see, unlike my family in WW2, I have a country I can go to. But if the Dutch keep going this way, they will be dhimmies before I'm retired. And I'm not too sure I mind that at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home