Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Personal stuff

I know I get very negative about Israel's future, about the few friends and allies the Jewish state has. Part of this is just my way of trying to be a prophet of doom, hoping that by being alarmist I actually alarm people, and my prophecies don't come to pass.

I also get angry at people who consider themselves friends of Israel (Jews and otherwise) but who (in my humble view of course) say and do the wrong things. I can't stand it when people who have a brain (and they're rare to begin with) make choices (mostly political) that run counter to Israel's best interests. I'm not talking about people who SAY they are friends but are obviously not. I'm talking about people who really do have Israel's best interests at heart, but simply choose a path that leads in the opposite direction of where even THEY want Israel to go.

Such choices may involve the preferred President of the US, wether or not the UN (or its disbandment) is a good idea, wether human rights organizations are friends or foes of Israel, the way to deal with Muslim immigration in Europe, and many other issues besides.

This is not the time or place to go into these issues. What I want to do here is to say to these people (I have one in mind in particular, my favourite feline, but she's by no means the only one) that my blog is MEANT to polarize. I DO think that appeasement is very wrong, I DO think that the time for looking at the issue from both sides has passed. But I don't mean to drive these honest but mistaken friends away. I was told once that I am 'high maintenance'. I thought about that, and in its context the statement was correct. I never let go, I WILL have the last say when I believe I know what's what. But between friends, the issue remains just that. Nothing more.

So I will try not to feel disgusted when I see links to Amnesty International or even MoveOn or worse on blogs of people who I think ought to know better. It does sadden and disappoint me, but in the balance things are still positive. And I hope you to whom this applies read this and see that, where Israel and the Jews are concerned at least, we all have their survival and prosperity foremost in our minds.

(Disclaimer: Forgive my arrogance. Like I said, I am way past looking at these issues from any other POV than my own. I am aware other POV's exist, and have decided they are irrelevant, if only because the rest of the world already has plenty of supporters for them.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

See, the funny thing is, I sometimes read you and KNOW you are wrong as well. No worries, we are all entitled to whatever it is we think. Sadly sometimes. But why do links to Amnesty annoy you? That I don't understand so well.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Unbelonger said...

Amnesty and other HR orgs are essentially a contradiction in terms. The problems they attempt to address are real in places where they are generally or completely ignored, and so AI and its ilk are basically useless, certainly a waste of time, money and effort.
They can be 'effective' in places where human rights are already generally respected. Places like Israel and the US. Criticizing or even attacking countries like these is counterproductive, because it puts them on an even moral footing with countries like, well, all the Arab countries, just about all of Africa, most of Asia, etc.

Moreover, it is precisely BECAUSE the West (Israel included) is about the only place that even listens to AI, a disproportionate part of its efforts are directed at it. It must feel hopeless to try and change things in N-Korea, or Myanmar, or Iran. No one is listening, and the sponsors see no effect. See this post for more.

So basically, I think HR orgs are at best useless and a waste of time. Certainly no country is above reproach. But Israel does not need AI on its back. AI needs to be on the back of the real 'bad guys' before they start harping on the US, or Australia. And until China compares favourably with the US, they need their focus there, and nowhere else.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Wrong. it's like the Star Thrower story. You think AI is useless. You wouldn't if it had helped free you or one of yours.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Unbelonger said...

Throwing stars is good. Lots of stars need to be thrown. No contradiction there. All I'm saying is, using the same resources on a nearly empty beach as on the beaches of China is ridiculous. Which is what AI et al do. A lot.

Go to the beaches packed with stars first.

1:34 PM  
Blogger lila said...

AI, while adressing the plight of human suffering, fails to shine the light of responsibilty where it belongs.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home